[Samba] Access Denied when trying to change permissions on Samba share

John Vaughan jvaughan at maad.com
Tue Mar 1 01:50:04 GMT 2005

Hello

I was using Redhat 7.3 with the default samba package 2.0.7.xx and then
upgraded to Redhat 9.0 and currently using samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0.

Prior to the upgrade users were able to change permissions on
files/directories they owned as well as write to those file which had
write access enabled. After the upgrade this is no longer possible. If I
open the Samba share in Network Neighborhood on a Windows client, right
click the file/directory, click properties, click Security tab, choose a
user and try to modify the permissions or add a user or group for access
rights the share it fails. The message given is "Unable to save
permission changes...Access is denied".

I compared both smb.conf files before and after the upgrade and they are
the same. What am I missing here?

I'm assuming this is a samba configuration error on my part and not an
authentication issue with our old Windows NT 4 sp6a domain server

Thank You

John Vaughan
Micro Analysis and Design, Inc.
4949 Pearl East Circle Ste 300