[Samba] Terminal server login problem

Wim verhoogt wimverh at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 27 18:35:09 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with the combination of Win2k3 and Samba. The
samba server is configured as a PDC, the terminal server as a member of
the domain. Logging in from the terminal server console with a domain
userid works; logging in from a terminal server session from the same
machine fails with the message: "The system can not log you on due to
the following error: The specified domain either does not exist or could
not be contacted.". Logging in to local accounts works. Mapping shares
to the Samba server also works.
I've googled and found some references to mismatched signing and
encryption settings, but I've tried all combinations to no avail
(including the SignOrSeal registry patch).

Following are two level 10 logs, one OK login from the console and one
failed login from a terminal server session. (both very long ...)

Versions: Win2K3 SP1, 15 TS CAL's (also tested without the service pack;
same results).
Samba: Version 3.0.14a-Debian (on a freshly installed Debian Sarge box).

The configuration file:
==============
[global]
        workgroup = SAHIN
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        debug level = 10
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser --ingroup NTMachines
--home /dev/null --shell /bin/false \ --disabled-password --firstuid 500
--lastuid 600 --force-badname --gecos machaccount %u
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        domain logons = yes