[Samba] Samba3 - small lan [1]

Serge Naggar naggar at sprintmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:47:54 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have posted to this list once before without any reply.  It would be
nice if some reply could indicate why the posting was not appropriate
and some indication as to what one should do - the last time I included
my smbconf. This time I have reworked my questions, limited their scope
, and put them in two emails.

I have two essentially identical linux computers [east and west] both
running Samba 3.0.9-2.6-suse with Suse linux pro 9.1 on a two machine
lan - [east & west] connected by a hub.

I am using `The Official Samba-3 HowTo & ref guide by Terpstra et al' as
my samba reference.

Currently I cannot get the lan to work; the machines are not `seeing'
each other even though they can ping each other.

1.      Testparm, on both machines, shows no error but the server role =
ROLE_STANDALONE. I expected it to identify itself as principal server?
        a. Am I correct in assuming that both machines will act as
server AND lient?
        b. Is this is a valid setup?

2.      a. As the partitions of both computers are the same should I
slightly change the title names in each smb.conf - [e.g., homes and
homesw; data and dataw; etc.] to avoid confusing samba's config [titles]
even though the machines are given different names: east and west or can
I have the smb.conf titles be the same for both machines except for the
`east and west' names?
        b. Should the names of the partitions [/mnt/data, etc.] remain
the same
or must they be changed?

3.      Are there other test functions which I could use to find out
what the
problems are?

I would appreciate some help as the lan is not functional.

Thanks

--
Cheers,
Serge [Naggar Consulting]