[Samba] Unable to join Windows2003 machine to Samba domain

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Fri Jun 24 21:47:24 GMT 2005

Don Watson schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Attempting to join Windows2003 machine to Samba domain results in "The
> specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".  No
> messages show up in log.smbd on the PDC server following the attempt (I have
> log level set to 5).

This means that your Windows machine does not "see" the Samba machine
for some reason (different network settings, different broadcasts, DNS
servers for those two, or other reasons).
A quick way to get around this issue would be to set up Samba to be a
WINS server, and to setup the Windows machine to use WINS (and point it
to your Samba's IP).

Other things you might try:

- deleting wins.dat (it may contain some invalid entries if you played
too much with Samba) on your Samba and restarting Samba
- rebooting Windows

> I recently installed a series of linux security fixes; I do not know the
> details since I installed automatically using online_update.  Thinking this
> might be the source of the problem I have turned off the firewall, but still
> have the problem.

Try running iptraf on your Samba machine in "promiscuous" mode (that is,
to see the whole traffic in the network, not only originating/destined
for your Samba machine) - and then join the domain.
You will see where your Windows machine sends packets to.

--
Tomek
WPKG - deploy software to your Windows workstations