[Samba] Missing files on Windows client side.

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Tue Jun 14 20:33:35 GMT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:54:44PM +0200, joop.martens at lekkerland.nl wrote:
> >

> > In a directory with approximately 6000 files, several files are missing on
> > the Windows side.
> > If I check the directory on Unix (AIX) they are all there.
> >
> > As far as I can see there's nothing strange with this files en I can't see
> > any connection between the missing files.
> > It looks like it's randomly.
> >
> > A few examples of missing files:
> >
> > FAKTREF.10062005.16 (See debug information)
> > cum1406.csv
> >
> > The only thing that I can see in the debug is the following line near each
> > missing file:
> >
> > get_lanman2_dir_entry: out of space
>
> Ok, I've tried to recreate this on a Linux system with 10,000 files
> in a directory and cannot. I explicitly set debug level and ensured
> there were many :
>
> get_lanman2_dir_entry: out of space
>
> messages in the log. This means there isn't a problem with this code
> path as such, but may be a problem with an AIX specific implementation.
>
> The new large directory code depends on opendir/telldir/readdir/rewinddir
> all working correctly - I'm slightly worried in that your log contains
> the message :

I didn't catch the AIX ver, but there could be several issues from
downlevel bos.rte.filesystems to a need for fsck on the fs in question.

I wonder if the smbd exceeded 256MB of real memory. There's a default one
segment limit and if there is a leak in bos.rte.lvm, bos.rte.libc or
bos.ret.filesystems code, it could take a loooooong time to find. I'd
upgrade the AIX machine to the latest maintenance level and try again :-)

Cheers!

Bill