[Samba] Samba 3 / enencrypted passwords broken compared to 2.2.10 with some clients

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Tue Jun 14 19:07:22 GMT 2005

Hi,

I did not find a real solution to my problems, but here is what I
found out:

prerequisite: all clients (XP/NT) do work with Samba 2.2.10
security = user, encrypt passwords = false

Samba 3.0.14a (Debian Sarge): some clients work, others do not.
Both working and non-working clients can be NT and XP, I could
not figure out a scheme.
This was tested with the original configuration as well with a
newly set up server, having just one share and default parameters.

Switching to encrypted passwords with tdbsam makes the non-working
clients work (after switching the client to encrypted passwords,
too, of course).

I hope I can convince our department to switch to encrypted
passwords, but for now I can not continue this investigation.
Maybe it helps for somebody else.

Regards,
Wolfgang

BTW, as the windows APW is not very user friendly I think it is
quite annoying that it is not possible to use make_printerdefs
any more with Samba 3. :-( I was not yet able to install a
printer driver in Samba 3, after figuring out that the user name
in Windows _has_ to match the one in Samba here, and has to have
the same password, it seems that it is impossible to use this
feature with plaintext passwords?!