[Samba] [Homes] on two machines, possible?

Peter Huetmannsberger huetmann at site38.ping.at
Sat Jun 11 13:04:20 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have a smb pdc running which works quite well so far, and would like to
know if this feature is possible.

I have two locations, and I want all users to authenticate on Machine A.
Howver there are some users that are closer to machine B, and I would like
to be able to have the homes of those users on machine B rather than
machine A (they should authenticate on machine A anyway).

Is this possible without a mount of the users (those I want on machineB)
home directories on machineA.

Using the usrmgr.exe it looks like it should be possible to change the
location of the homes (\\serverB\username), but the change does not take
effect. I do not use ADS, just plain regular samba.

trying to set path = \\machineB\homes results in an ERROR message:

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Any help would be appreciated.

Mounting the share from serverB on serverA works perfectly all rght, it is
not what I want though.

So far google and the big samba book have not found a solution.

Thanks,

.peter