[Samba] Samba w/o local users on Samba server?

Robert Schuettler rober at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Fri Jun 10 13:07:19 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:08:49PM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:

> What you are asking is: "Can a Samba server be a domain member server or
> client in a Windows NT4 domain, or in an Active Directory domain?"

Yes and no. If we don't want to have a Windows-based server in the
picture, it looks like I'll need to configure a(nother) Samba server as
a PDC in order for the first one to join a domain. I'll give that a try
anyway ( and come back with more detailed questions later - if there
are any. ;-)

> Suggest you refer to chapter 7 of the book "Samba-3 by Example" (aka.
> Samba-Guide). This chapter deals exclusively with this subject.

I'll do that. Thanks!

> You can obtain a copy of this book from:
> 	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

Wow: June 6th, now June 9th; you're really keeping your documentation
up-to-(almost-today's-)date.

> The information you provide above does not identify which of our documentation
> is deficient.

Don't worry, I didn't say it was defincient. All I said is that AFAICS
you always need to have local Linux/Unix users (and groups) with User
Level security.

| Currently domain level security in Samba does not free you from
| having to create local UNIX users to represent the users attached to
| your server. (...)

  from:
  The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide, 1st printing, p.74

Thanks for your reply! Cheers, Robert