[Samba] Samba w/o local users on Samba server?

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Mon Jun 6 18:08:49 GMT 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 09:37, Robert Schuettler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> is it possible to have a Samba server without creating local accounts
> for users on that server?
>
> Share level security doesn't count though. ;-) The idea is not to need
> to create and update users on the Samba server itself (i.e. no local
> users, no entries in /etc/passwd, etc).
>
> The documentation says something about  Domain and ADS level security
> being basically just forms of user level security, so - for the moment-
> it looks to me as if there's no way around creating those local users.
> Is that correct?
>
> Wondering, Robert

What you are asking is: "Can a Samba server be a domain member server or
client in a Windows NT4 domain, or in an Active Directory domain?"

The answer is: Yes! Of course!

Suggest you refer to chapter 7 of the book "Samba-3 by Example" (aka.
Samba-Guide). This chapter deals exclusively with this subject.

You can obtain a copy of this book from:
	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

The information you provide above does not identify which of our documentation
is deficient. Please help use to improve the quality and suitability of our
documentation where it is inadequate. You can assist us by providing clear
and unabiguous feedback regarding the documentation you have reviewed and
specfically what information you need that is not addressed.

Cheers,
John T.