[Samba] updating samba via rpm

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Jun 9 14:50:00 GMT 2005

> I can't remember exactly, but i think gnome-vfs2-smb depends on
> samba-common. Other gnome rpm's depend on gnome-vfs2-smb etc ....
> The rpm from the site provides one rpm package :
> samba-3.0.14a-1

Really? Last time recompiled the samba spec file, I was given 4 rpm files,
just like the RH/Fedora implementation.  The spec file states that it came
from:

Source: ftp://www.samba.org/pub/samba/%{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2

> If your not bothered about using gnome you can uninstall the Fedora
> Samba rpm's (stop samba first of course):
> rpm --nodeps -e samba samba-common samba-client

Why oh why people insist on jeopardizing their rpm db integrity when
perfectly sane options exist...  yes you're putting in the same files, but
now anything that was depending on samba-common, or any other package that
used to be there, is going to be confused when it goes looking for its
dependencies.  Hrm, yum wants to update gnome-vfs (or whatever else) and
samba isn't installed...  it may either install old versions or break
entirely and update nothing.

Compile the spec and then in one line:

Rpm -Uvh samba-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm samba-client-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm
samba-common-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm samba-swat-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm

Leave out the swat if you so desire and/or the h option if you don't like
the progress bar.