[Samba] Access Permissions for Network Resource

Eric Lommatsch EricL at micronix.com
Thu Jun 2 18:35:16 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have used Samba to create a file share of a folder on a linux box that I
have setup for testing purposes. When I go to map a drive to this share on my
Windows XP machine I can see the shared folder on this computer. However when
I try to open this folder or map it to a drive even after entering the root
user and the associated password for this Linux box I am continually seeing
the message

"\\Mytest\linuxWWW is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using
more then one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections
to the server or shared resource and try again.."

I have look five times over the resources that I have set up and I am not
seeing another connection.

Just in case it might be of use to sombody who can help me I am going to post
sbm.conf file that I currently have on this linux box.

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
 dns proxy = no
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
 load printers = yes
 printing = cups
 server string = Samba Server %v
 workgroup = MDKGROUP
 map to guest = bad user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 printcap name = cups
 security = user
 printer admin = @adm
 max log size = 50

[homes]
 browseable = no
 comment = Home Directories
 valid users = andy,ericl,root
 writeable = yes
 public = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer
drivers.
#   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use generic
PostScript on clients).
# If you install drivers on the server, you will want to uncomment this so
# clients request the driver
   use client driver = yes

# This share is used for Windows NT-style point-and-print support.
# To be able to install drivers, you need to be either root, or listed
# in the printer admin parameter above. Note that you also need write access
# to the directory and share definition to be able to upload the drivers.
# For more information on this, please see the Printing Support Section of
# /usr/share/doc/samba-<version>/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
#
# A special case is using the CUPS Windows Postscript driver, which allows
# all features available via CUPS on the client, by publishing the ppd file
# and the cups driver by using the 'cupsaddsmb' tool. This requires the
# installation of the CUPS driver (http://www.cups.org/windows.php)
# on the server, but doesn't require you to use Windows at all :-).
[print$]
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   write list = @adm root
   guest ok = yes
   inherit permissions = yes
   # Settings suitable for Winbind:
   # write list = @"Domain Admins" root
   # force group = +@"Domain Admins"

# A useful application of samba is to make a PDF-generation service
# To streamline this, install windows postscript drivers (preferably colour)
# on the samba server, so that clients can automatically install them.
# Note that this only works if 'printing' is *not* set to 'cups'

[pdf-gen]
   path = /var/tmp
   guest ok = No
   printable = Yes
   comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
   printing = bsd
   #print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf file path win_path
recipient IP &
   print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u"
"%m" "%I" "%J" &
    lpq command = /bin/true

# A share allowing administrators to set ACLs on, or access for backup
purposes
# ll files (as root).
#[admin]
#  path = /
#  admin users = @"Domain Admins"
#  valid users = @"Domain Admins"
#  browseable = no
#  writeable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /home/samba/public
;   public = yes
;   writable = no
;   write list = @staff
# Audited directory through experimental VFS audit.so module:
# Uncomment next line.
#   vfs object = /usr/lib/samba/vfs/audit.so

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by Fred. Spool data will be placed in Fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by Fred. Note that Fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writable = yes

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In
this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared
;   valid users = mary fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

[LinuxWWW]
 writable = yes
 writeable = yes
 path = /var/www
 comment = Share web file location
 valid users = andy,ericl,root, at adm
 public = yes
 available = yes

I know that what I am posting and the question I am asking might seem kind of
vauge, but if someone can help me figure this out I would appreciate the
help.

Thank you

Eric H. Lommatsch
Programmer