[Samba] multiple connections failure

Lance Murri Lance.Murri at inl.gov
Thu Jun 2 19:58:03 GMT 2005

Sorry to bother those of you who are faced with issues probably not as
trivial my concern, but I am hitting a brick wall.

I am upgrading from Samba 2.2.5 to 3.0.14a on a Solaris 8 box. I have
configured, run make, makepkg and installed using pkgadd. I am using the
same smbpasswd file and smb.conf file I used with 2.2.5. However, these
files are now in the /etc/samba directory rather than the directory where
Samba is installed.

When I start the smbd and nmbd daemons (as follows),

        /opt/samba-3.0.14a/sbin/smdb -D
        /opt/samba-3.0.14a/sbin/nmdb -D

I am able to see (on WinXp SP1) the two UNIX file systems that I have
mapped to the F: and G: drives. Things seem to be OK.  However, when a
second user tries the same thing, the Windows Explorer locks up and the
Unix file system is not recognized. If the explorer is killed, all of the
XP icons (and the entire desktop) is erased until I kill the Samba
processes.

It feels like there is only one connection being allowed. I set the 'max
connections' flag in the smb.conf file but it made no difference. I have
searched the docs included with the installation, but since I am not
really sure what I am looking for (what is causing the problem) I have not
found a solution.

Is there something elementary that I have failed to realize or is there a
ton of modifications required to the .conf file for 3.0.14a which I have
not addressed (since I am using the same smb.conf used with 2.2.5).

Thank you for any insight you may have on what I have missed.

Lance Murri
208 526 2661