[Samba] printing totally broken

Chuck Theobald chuckt at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Jun 1 20:58:14 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I have a serious problem with my Samba printing.  Basically, it is totally
broken.  The symptoms include client machines waiting forever for a print
dialog to appear, especially Win2k machines, and a complete inability to
get a properties dialog reliably.  I run Samba 3.0.14a + OpenLDAP 2.2.24 on
Solaris 8 on a V880.  My smb.conf is as below.  Any advice would be
appreciated.

lauterbur{33}# more /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
####
## LCNI Configuration, passed through testparm, 2005.05.15.cdt
##
# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = LCNI
         server string = Lauterbur Server
         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://lauterbur.uoregon.edu
         password level = 8
         username level = 8
         log level = 2 winbind:10
         log file = /var/adm/samba/smblog.%m
         max log size = 500
         printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
         add user script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
         delete user script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
         add group script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
         delete group script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
         add user to group script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod
-m "%u" "%g"
         delete user from group script =
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
         set primary group script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-usermod
-g "%g" "%u"
         add machine script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
##        logon script = logon.bat
         logon path =
         logon drive = H:
         logon home =
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 33
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         dns proxy = No
         wins support = Yes
         ldap admin dn = cn=smbadmin,ou=People,dc=lcni,dc=uoregon,dc=edu
         ldap delete dn = Yes
         ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
         ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
         ldap passwd sync = Yes
         ldap suffix = dc=lcni,dc=uoregon,dc=edu
         ldap ssl = start tls
         ldap user suffix = ou=People
         admin users = chuck
         printer admin = chuck, @sysadmin, root, @staff
         printing = sysv
##        print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -r -h -P'%p' %s
##        lpq command = /usr/ucb/lpq -P'%p'
##        lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm -P'%p' %j

[printers]
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

[print$]
         comment = Print Driver Area
         path = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers
         write list = chuck, @sysadmin, root, @staff
         browseable = No

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         browseable = No

[netlogon]
         comment = Domain Logon
         path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
         browseable = No

[profiles]
         comment = Roaming Profiles
         path = /usr/local/samba/lib/profiles
         read only = No
         create mask = 0600
         directory mask = 0700
         browseable = No

[staff]
         comment = Lauterbur Staff Share
         path = /vxfsvol/staff
         read only = No

[public]
         comment = Lauterbur Public Share
         path = /vxfsvol/public
         read only = No

[office-admin]
         comment = Office Administrative Share
         path = /vxfsvol/home/staff/office-admin
         read only = No

lauterbur{34}#

Chuck Theobald
System Administrator
The Robert and Beverly Lewis Center for Neuroimaging
University of Oregon
P: 541-346-0343
F: 541-346-0345