[Samba] What exactly IS the winbind daemon?

Oliver Heering oliver.heering at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Jul 28 11:31:41 GMT 2005

Hi,

maybe this is a newbie-question, but ... here we go:

I read the documentation for winbindd several times now but didn't get
far. We run Samba as primary domain controller for several dozen
clients and over 3000 users and never used winbind, so my question is
quite simple:

What does winbind provide and when do i need it?
I assume that winbind is only used when i use samba as a client in a
domain with a MS domain controller, is that correct?

mfg,
Oliver Heering
Medienzentrum der Universität Dortmund
http://www.medienzentrum.uni-dortmund.de