[Samba] EFS crypted files and smbclient.

Olivier LAHAYE Olivier.Lahaye at Motorola.com
Thu Jul 28 09:15:15 GMT 2005

Is there a way to get a NTFS encrypted file using smbclient (even not
decrypted) so It can be backed up using backuppc
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net) ?

I have exported the NTFS keys in a pfx file. could it help copy the file?

the aim is that files must be crypted on laptops hard drive so if it is stolen
then no data is compromised. Having the file not crypted on the backup server
is not a problem.

Right now, I get a smbclient timeout after 20000 msec and tranfert is aborted,
thus the backup fails. At least, is there a way to report a permission denied
for the crypted files and continue with other files?

thanks for any tips.

--
	Olivier LAHAYE
	Motorola Labs IT manager