[Samba] Samba Server not using domain users as samba users

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Jul 20 00:57:25 GMT 2005

Good evening everyone:

I am struggling with a problem here.

I have a brand new FC3 server set up.  My Windows domain is a windows 2003 active directory domain.

I have samba configured as below

[global]
        netbios name = SRVWEB-01
        server string = MCA Production Web Server
        printing = cups
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        password server = srvdc01
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        workgroup = MCASCHOOL
        os level = 20
        winbind trusted domains only = yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        security = domain
        realm = srvdc01

[webroot]
        comment = Websites Home Directory
        writeable = yes
        path = /var/www/html

[ftp]
comment = FTP Home Directory
path = /var/ftp/pub/
read only = No

I followed the set up as specified in the how to section at:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2536544

I followed the procedures as specified in that document to make a domain member server:

Everything appeared to work correctly

when i try to browse to the server from my windows XP Pro station, the server shows up in the server list, when i click on it -- it asks for authentication, but then wont accept any -- i give it my domain admin, my personal user, etc.

As i understand it, i should not have to create a linux user for each of my domain users, that should be handled by samba, as it looks at the domain users list and provides authentication.

Previously when i have had this problem, i have had to create a user in samba (system-config-samba) and manually set their samba password to the same as their windows password.  THis just does not seem right, and it makes a huge security hole.

When I look at the samba users list, there are none -- but i think that all of my Active Directory (domain) users should be listed

Can someone please set me straight.  I am not looking for someone to provide a turnkey solution, but rather someone who can work with me to help me troubleshoot this problem so that I can get this working.  This is a test deployment preparatory to doing the full up one on the file server.

If you need any further information, please feel free to e-mail

thanks very much

TIM HOLMES

IT Manager / Webmaster / Science Teacher

Medina Christian Academy

A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3

Jeremiah 29:11