[Samba] Reconnect samba mount as needed?

Peter Kay peterkayatwork at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 19:25:11 GMT 2005

I have a linux machine that needs to smbmount several
windows partitions.  I have mastered running smbmount
from the command line to do this, but have run into
problems when the machine reboots (thankfully very
rarely, but we're expanding our office and power
supply has been flaky).

Is there a way to put something in the startup scripts
that will connect to the windows shares?  I know I can
put smbfs in the fstab...  But, what if the windows
machine is turned off at the moment (also having lost
its power) - is there a way to convince smbmount to
try to connect until it connects?  If the windows
server goes down, can smbmount reconnect to it?

Am I forced to having to have a cron job that mounts
them every 5 minutes?

Thanks for advice,

--Peter