[Samba] Large Files vs. Speed

David Sonenberg dsonenberg at strozllc.com
Tue Jul 19 15:12:21 GMT 2005

For more detailed benchmarking you should consiser iozone
http://www.iozone.org/

You might also consider striping the two disks together for improved
performance.  Some factors the can make a big difference is block size
of the filesystem, and stripe size for the array.

Louis van Belle wrote:

>have you installed hdparm
>
>if not, install it.
>the enter this
>
>hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
>for the first drive.
>
>this is my output.
>im running Raid 1 on Onboard HPT372 controller with
>the driver from Highpoint. ( kernel 2.4.27-10 )
>
>mailgate:/etc/squid# hdparm -tT /dev/sda
>/dev/sda:
> Timing cached reads:   2976 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1488.00 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:  158 MB in  3.03 seconds =  52.15 MB/sec
>
>hdparm -c1 -d1 -m16 /dev/hda
>is a pretty safe option, and can give your system lots of extra speed.
>
>Louis

David Sonenberg
Systems / Network Administrator
Stroz Friedberg, LLC
15 Maiden Lane
15th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Tel 212.981.6527
Fax 917.495.4918

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No right to
confidential or privileged treatment of this message is waived or lost
by any error in transmission.  If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail or by telephone at
212.981.6540, delete the message and all copies from your system and
destroy any hard copies.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.