[Samba] Large Files vs. Speed

Louis van Belle louis at van-belle.nl
Tue Jul 19 11:27:32 GMT 2005

have you installed hdparm

if not, install it.
the enter this

hdparm -tT /dev/hda

for the first drive.

this is my output.
im running Raid 1 on Onboard HPT372 controller with
the driver from Highpoint. ( kernel 2.4.27-10 )

mailgate:/etc/squid# hdparm -tT /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2976 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1488.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  158 MB in  3.03 seconds =  52.15 MB/sec

hdparm -c1 -d1 -m16 /dev/hda
is a pretty safe option, and can give your system lots of extra speed.

Louis