[Samba] multiple workgroups from one Samba server? more

Matt Easton matthew at sublunar.com
Wed Jul 13 16:21:51 GMT 2005

Sorry to reply to my own post.

On Jul 13, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Matt Easton wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2005, at 2:27 AM, <david-e.hansen at ubs.com> wrote:
>

>> On Windows machine ABC:
>>
>> \\net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:domainname\username
>>
>> On Windows machine XYZ:
>>

>> \\net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:otherdomainname\username
>>

> Uhm, I hope that using X: in both lines was a typo, you aren't going
> to mount different shares on the same letter.

Pardon me, I misspoke.  Of course you can use the same drive letter on
different workstations.

>> I.e. I was hoping that the same Samba server, could "service"
>> multiple Windows workgroups. I think you've answered my question
>> already, i.e. that this is not possible, and we would need a 2nd
>> Samba server to service the user accounts on the 2nd windows
>> workgroup. Is this the case?
>>

> Actually, there have been threads on the samba list about running
> multiple workgroups on one server.  You essentially run a second
> instance with its own smb.conf file.  Look at the man page for smbd, I
> believe the -s option for smbd allows you to specify the smbd file

	Authenticating against 2 domains housed on the same server.
  and
	Sharing the same share with members of 2 domains.

are different questions.

Inter-domain trusts may be what you want.
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
InterdomainTrusts.html