[Samba] finding # of people using a share

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sat Jul 2 17:30:36 GMT 2005

lør, 02.07.2005 kl. 18.49 skrev Charles McLaughlin:

> Is there a way to find the number of people using a samba share?  I'd
> like to know if people have files open before I restart samba or reboot
> the server.

I'd start with the requisite 2 smbd daemons at service startup and do
'ps auxwww | grep smbd' (on a RHAS3 server) and count the extra daemons.
A rule of thumb is one extra daemon per logged in workstation.

If you want to see what shares they have open, do 'lsof -p' on each of
the PIDs the extra daemons are using and look for open non-system files.

It shouldn't be too difficult to write a little shell/awk script to
automate this.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl