[Samba] Veto files applied per group

David Wilson dave at dcdata.co.za
Mon Jan 31 07:28:45 GMT 2005

Hi guys,

I use "veto files = /.mp3/.mpg/" etc. on the [homes] share to prevent users from storing media files on a Samba server in the home directories.
My client now wishes to make this restriction apply to users who are members of only certain groups.
E.g. This restriction must apply to users who are members of the "Students" group and not apply to users in the "Teachers" group.

I was thinking of having a blank smb.conf file with only the following in it:
include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%G

Then having two smb.conf files, namely smb.conf.Teachers and smb.conf.Students.
The smb.conf.Students file would have the entire config file and the "veto files" parameter.
The smb.conf.Teachers file would have the entire config file but without the "veto files" parameter.

Makes sense ?
Is there perhaps a better way to do this ?

Many thanks

Kindest regards
David Wilson
D c D a t a