[Samba] Typo in Samba-3 By Example Book, Chapter 5

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 28 22:26:34 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 15:51 -0500, Ryan Frantz wrote:

> In this situation, both experience and constant monitoring are the best
> tools for making the kind of determination for resource allocation at a
> particular site.

Indeed!

Adding a squid proxy server with NTLM authentication, for example, will
increase the load on the server, and using Samba 3.0.11rc1's
'ldapsam:trusted = yes' will dramatically reduce it.  (Now just to
figure out exactly what I need to have in ldap to support it, but that's
my lookout :-)

You always need good server monitoring anyway, so you should have some
idea when your servers are bogged down.  Also, make sure to leave
capacity for when you loose a server (that's why you got redundancy in
the first place, right?).  I've had a site that was 'just handling' the
load, and when we lost a server, it killed the rest.

Andrew Bartlett