[Samba] Samba 3.0 PDC + LDAP: Workstation account disappearing

Luca Maranzano liuk at publinet.it
Fri Jan 28 08:03:53 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've a Debian 3.1 box with Samba 3.0.9 acting as a PDC with OpenLDAP
2.1.30, smbldap-tools 0.8.5, libnss-ldap version 220-1.

The problem is this:

Yesterday suddenly a user from a workstation already joined to the
domain could not log on any more.

The log message was:

Workstation HPDX02$: no account in domain

Digging into LDAP I've found that the entry in the LDAP DB exists (I can
see it with "slapcat"), but the strange thing is the following:

- from "getent passwd" I can see the hpdx02$ user
Output: hpdx02$:x:1128:515:Computer:/dev/null:/bin/false

- "finger hpdx02$" reports this:
Login: hpdx02$                          Name: Computer
Directory: /dev/null                    Shell: /bin/false
Never logged in.
No mail.
No Plan.

- id hpdx02$:
# id hpdx02$
id: hpdx02$: No such user

- doing "pdbedit -L"  the hpdx02$ is not listed.

Si it seems that the entry is in the LDAP but Samba cannot see it
anymore.

Let me know if you need some more info the track down the problem.

Kind regards,
luca