[Samba] Best practices for long-running Samba server

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Tue Jan 25 13:37:21 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have been having the weirdest network browsing problems on my network the
past week.  Come to find out the wins.dat file got corrupted.  Removing that
file fixed everything.  Because our systems typically have uptimes measured
in months rather than days, and it is difficult for me to restart Samba
except as a scheduled task (which I'm afraid to do because there are users
who come in earlier than I do in the AM and users that work later than me in
the PM, and I don't want them having to call me at home :D ), I need to know
what the best practice is for the .dat and .tdb files.  Is it normal for them
to become corrupt over time?  Is there some best practice for how often to
remove them and let them re-populate?  Anything else I should know for a
Samba instance that typically runs for months on end without interruption?

Thanks in advance,
Misty