[Samba] user-rights

Vickie L. Kidder vlkidder at TABASCO.com
Wed Jan 19 19:10:00 GMT 2005

We have something similar setup on an AIX server.

With samba security=user, each user connects to the server with a username
and password.

In the AIX user account setup, every user is assigned to a group "staff".

These are the permissions on the "public" folder where anyone in the the
"staff" group has rwx rights.
The "s" in the group permissions carries down the rwx group permissions
and "staff" group to any files created in this directory.

drwxrws---  11 root     staff        512 Jan 18 10:24 public

The permissions were set using the following AIX commands.
# chgrp -R staff public
# chmod -R 770 public
# chomd -R g+s public

"M. Buchbach" <sandhase2001 at web.de>
Sent by: samba-bounces+vlkidder=tabasco.com at lists.samba.org
01/19/2005 12:21 PM

<samba at lists.samba.org>
cc

Subject
[Samba] user-rights

Hello!

I've got some problems with the user-rights setting to my linux-machine.

I want to create a file-server-system with samba where I can create a
copy-directory, too. To this copy-directory every person, who can connect
the samba-machine, should be able to write through this directory and to
make changes on documents, like word-documents, which are saved in this
directory.

My problem is that only the person, who has created a file through this
directory, is able to make changes on this file. Other persons only can
open
this file to watch the content. I have no idea, which options I must
change
in the smb.conf-file so that every person is able to make changes on every
file that is saved in the copy-directory.

The security-level is set to user-security and every person connects with
username and a password to the samba-machine.

Can anyone help me to solve my problem?

Thanks!

Buchbach