[Samba] XP pro user can not change password in SMB PDC

black white bw.linux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:49:16 GMT 2005

Recently I set up a PDC with SMB samba-3.0.9-r1 on Gentoo Linux.
Everything seems going well. BUt now I still encounter few problems,
pls help me, 3x.
1. Client computer with XP professional with SP2 successfully joined
the SMB PDC. But now the problem is the user can not change passwd
from windows.  When user changes password, the XP gives such a
message: "you do not have permission to change your password."
I googled the solutions, I got some threads, from samba maillist,
which said this:
Just an update. After reading others posts, I uninstalled Microsoft
Cumulative Update MS04-012 (KB828741). Sure enough this fixed the
problem. Hope Samba folks can correct this in Samba 3.0.3 so we don't
have to uninstall this update on all computers.
But I think this problem should have solved by now, haven't it? What
shoud I do to solve this problems?
2. Does samba 3.X wholely supports XP group policy? I just still use
ntconfig.pol to restrict user, for I can not find some useful doc. Can
you give me some useful hints.
Thanks.