[Samba] Slow write access with Samba 3.0.10-Debian

Markus Wollny Markus.Wollny at computec.de
Mon Jan 17 17:18:38 GMT 2005

Hi!

I've got a problem with write access on samba fileshares mounted via
fstab on two Debian Sarge servers. These servers are behind firewalls
and can only access each other, so security is not an issue. They are
configured as follows:

I'll use placeholders for IP-adresses, usernames, passwords etc. just
out of paranoia, I do know, that these IPs do not make sense ;)

the servers are server1 with the ip 123.123.123.101 and server2 with the
ip 213.123.123.102

fstab-entry of server1:
//123.123.123.101/service /path/to/mountpoint      smbfs
password=mypass,uid=myuser,gid=mygroup,fmask=666,dmask=777,rw 0 0

fstab-entry of server2:
//123.123.123.102/service /path/to/mountpoint      smbfs
password=mypass,uid=myuser,gid=mygroup,fmask=666,dmask=777,rw 0 0

smb.conf for server1 is
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
        netbios name = SERVER1
        security = SHARE
        time server = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        guest account = myuser
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        printcap name = cups
        os level = 2
        default service = service
        printing = cups
        print command =
        lpq command =
        lprm command =
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[service]
        path = /path/to/folder
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        guest only = Yes
        hosts allow = All
        nt acl support = No
        hide dot files = No
smb.conf for server2 is identical, except for netbios name = SERVER2.

When I connect to Server1, cd to /path/to/mountpoint and issue echo 1234
> test.txt, it takes 30 seconds before the command prompt returns. The
file is written okay. An rm test.txt is executed instantaneously, as is
an ls or any read-operation on a file on the mounted fileshare. It's
just write-access which is always delayed by half a minute. The curious
thing is, that I can connect from a windows box and just write to the
fileshare like to a local drive with no noticeable delay whatsoever. The
same applies to an older SuSE Linux 8.2 box with Samba version
2.2.7a-SuSE - I can write to the shares on server1 and server2 without
any such delay. This leads me to the conclusion, that there must be some
problem in the way, the two boxes are accessing each others' shares.
Unfortunately I haven't got a clue how I could further diagnose the
problem. I'd be very happy if someone could give me a hint in the right
direction. Thank you very much!

Kind regards

   Markus