[Samba] Lingering WinXP SP2 issues

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri Jan 14 22:12:20 GMT 2005

I have this problem. Well, I don't have it now. Here's when I started to
have it. I have queues named things like \\njmsa-lm\djnlab. I decided,
when I noticed the names are stored in .tdb's, not smb.conf, that I would
rename them to more civilized names from the Windows side. I called the
afforementioned printer:

\\njmsa-lm\Lab Poster Printer (djnlab)

...this worked... sometimes. Sometimes I'd see the error above. I made it
go away by naming things back the way they were, but I'd really like to do
what I described. The other thing that seemed to cause it sometimes (or
cause other confusion) was having a djnlab and djnlab1 (djnlab1 was mapped
from a staff machine only and was rather unrestricted, djnlab was mapped
from lab machines and had a time-of-day restriction). Occaisionally, it
appeared as if a change to one would affect the wrong printer.

Another related note: why is it that installing a new printer driver
renames the printer? (ie. set up share, djnlab. Install printer Driver.
Printer gets named hp designjet 42 ps3 without my permission). Is this
expected behavior?

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - User Support Spec. III
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, David Schlenk wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Paul Gienger wrote:
>

>>> from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system
>>> administrator." on a select few queues.  This occurs only on WXP SP2