[Samba] Lingering WinXP SP2 issues

David Schlenk david-schlenk at bethel.edu
Thu Jan 13 19:18:59 GMT 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Paul Gienger wrote:

>> from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system
>> administrator." on a select few queues.  This occurs only on WXP SP2
>> machines
>
> You didn't have this issue before SP2?  AFAIK, you should see this all
> the time (SP2 or not, even w/2000) when a non-admin user connects,
> provided the printer hasn't been installed already as by someone with
> admin.

Nope. Worked fine, prior. I will play around with that and see if I can
get a pattern though.  It does only affect certain drivers, so maybe it
wasn't supposed to be working before and now correctly isn't working.
---
On Jan 13, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:

> On Thursday 13 January 2005 13:11, Paul Gienger wrote:
>>> Has anyone else had this behavior? Any fixes (deleting tdb files
>>> perhaps)?
>>
>> It's a client side issue, no server changes would fix it aside from
>> making the user a member of Domain Admins, thereby giving local admin.
>> That's most likely not what you REALLY want to do though.
>
> It would be solved by using [PRINT$] share and storing all your printer
> drivers on the server.  A normal user will be able to connect to a
> network
> printer but won't be able to install any drivers.  The only users of
> mine who
> have to be administrator are the ones who need to use a printer which
> will
> not store its drivers on the server.

I do this already. Used to work great. :)
--
David Schlenk
Operating Systems Analyst
david-schlenk at bethel.edu