[Samba] Samba on Snap

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 14 03:24:13 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:49 +0000, ALLEN, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a snap server 4400 which is running Samba and which we have
> successfully added to our Samba domain which is running on a Sun. However,
> when we save a file on the Snap server, the unix owner/group are set
> incorrectly to the values 20111 and 20002. A file saved on the Sun server
> has the correct unix owner/group.
>
> Consequently, the file save on the snap server cannot be edited at the unix
> level by the same user who created it on the PC!
>
> Does anyone know why this is and how we might correct it?
>
> We are not running winbindd on the Sun server, but we are on the Snap (the
> default). Could this be the cause?

This is one of the problems with winbindd in Samba domains.  What you
need to do is configure idmap_ldap to talk to a central IDMAP server,
which contains mappings back to the UIDs on the samba PDC.

Most samba-winbind-samba setups however simply use nss_ldap and set
'winbind trusted domains only = yes'.  How easy this is to cludge into
the snap box I'm not sure (it's been a while since I worked there, and
all I can remember is that almost every config file is generated in one
way or another :-)

Andrew Bartlett