[Samba] Win2K. Raw CUPS printing, driver download

Indiana Epilepsy and Child Neurology BrainChild at Skyler.com
Wed Jan 12 15:27:52 GMT 2005

Using Debian Sarge, samba, CUPS, and an HP G85 mutifunction with HPOJ
to use the G85 USB connection, I've been able to get raw printing to
work, and Point 'n' Print driver download to work, but not at the same
time.

The driver download was a chore, because of HP's proprietary install
program.  Had to install the driver locally to get the needed files
and copy them manually to the Linux box.

Raw printing didn't work unless I did a local install of the driver
and created a new port named //server/printer, which pretty much
defeats the driver download feature.  Incidentally, the documentation
on doing this refers to the "Details" tab, but it's really the "Ports"
tab in the Win2K printer driver Properties sheet.  The docs should
probably be updated for this.

If I use the driver download, the output from a WordPad document with
just the word "test" spits out multiple pages, each being either blank
or just one line of garbage.  The first page has a line which begins
with @ and character like a capital C with a tail, then the printer
URL in the form \\server\printer, cut off near the end by a smiley
face and various other odd characters.  The URL appears to repeat near
the end of the line but is cut off when the printer runs out of room
on the right.

My thinking is that the printer URL must be an artifact of sending the
data over the network, and that samba should be removing it, because
CUPS wouldn't know what to do with it.  Not sure why this happens with
the downloaded driver but not the locally installed one.

I would prefer to use the driver download feature, since it doesn't
require a manual install of the driver on each workstation.  Can
anyone suggest how to get this to work?
--
Don Stauffer, Office Manager
Indiana Epilepsy and Child Neurology, Inc.