[Samba] Re: University's using samba and ldap

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Thu Jan 13 12:03:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 moof48 at temple.edu wrote:

> You almost said what I wanted to hear :) The problem here is
> that we have 50k accounts in ldap and almost everything
> authenticates off of it.  We started out w/ Samba and one DC

Sweet.

> in 2 small test labs.  Now were looking at putting into a
> mega lab for 700 machines and hopefully control a bunch of
> stuff using samba.  The problem is that now all the other
> small colleges (departments) want to have their own control
> and possibly own domain.  Plus I dont want to administer

You are much larger than we are, so we were able to have administration
say to all departments, "The IT people do it all. If you don't like it,
well..."

You get the idea :-) Plus, nobody wants to manage someone elses nightmare
because they didn't heed your advice.

> their systems. My first thought was the SID issue but it
> seems that it worked for you.  I've decided to get a
> consultant in here for like 10 hours to just help may lay
> out the basic architecture just make sure were doing
> everything right from the get go before samba gets to big on

We have over 2200 workstations across three domains and we're
consolidating servers and expanding services all the time. Our biggest
domain has an 8-way/24GB server, the next is a 8-way 32GB (it does
Samba+other things), and a 4-way 7GB. The LDAP server is a 6-way 26GB box
and we are planning a replica on the biggie within 30 days. We're still
testing the replication on OpenLDAP 2.2.20 since it just became "stable"
like last week.

Perhaps that list can help guide you on your path of hardware selection.

> campus. Oh yeh.. We also have a Tru 64 box that everyone has
> an account on.  It has samba running on it and I joined it o
> the domain so evryone now gets their files mapped when they
> log in.  We also created a web gui so users can get their
> files when their off campus.

That's excellent. We just use sftp for their access off campus. OpenSSH
uses the AIX authenticate() function so it's tied to the secldapclntd
backend of the OS. AIX is admittedly quirky, but it was the way to go for
our money :-)

> I hope all of this work doesnt go to waste because we
> looking at syncing up our AD w/ ldap so then all of these
> labs would just use AD.  I would like to say screw AD but I
> dont see us kicking it to the curb.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions, planning, testing. The
well prepared individual will be the one to succeed in this realm. I only
wish I had time to experiment with AD.

If there's anything more you'd like to know about our installation, please
feel free to ask.

Bill