[Samba] "Called name not present" - using smbclient from linux to access win98

Xingjun Chu jasonchu at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Jan 6 20:18:07 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am quite confused by the following observation.

I tried to use smbclient on a linux to access a Windows 98 se.
---  Smbclient  //IP address/sharefolder -U username%passwd.

I got some errors like

Session request to [Ip address] failed (called name not present).

But I can use  the same command from the same Linux to access a Window 2000
machine.

I also noticed that If I use the the following command to access the win98
from the linux box,

--- smbclient //win98 machine name/sharefolder -I IP address -U
username%passwd.

It works fine.

So I began to think probably something going on with win98 smb server and I
have to use the name instead of using something like //IP
address/sharefolder to refer to that resoure.

But the following fact confused me, I can access win98 use "//IP
address/sharefolder" from my win2k machine, for example, enter "//win98 ip
address/sharefoler" in the "run", I can get in.

I'll really appreciate it if anyone can clarify this confusion above

Thanks!

Jason