[Samba] Samba and Cups interaction

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Wed Jan 5 20:43:02 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 15:22, David Schlenk wrote:

> Even beyond the "was cups support compiled in" question, it is possible
> to not see jobs for their entire life in the samba queue:
>
> If the cups server you are using in conjunction with samba sends jobs
> directly to the printer, then the job should remain in the samba queue
> for the life of the job.
>
> If however you have separate cups server(s) that actually send jobs to
> printers and a local copy of cups on the samba box that just sends the
> jobs to the other cups server(s), then the job will only remain in the
> samba queue for the (short) amount of time it takes your local cups
> server to send the job to other cups servers, since all samba knows .
> [This setup allows you to have redundant/load balancing cups servers.]
>
> I believe you can specify a non-local cups server in the 3.x series of
> samba, but I don't remember the corresponding smb.conf parameters
> off-hand. [And doing this would make redundant/load balancing not work,
> unless you wanted to go round-robin DNS style, but that isn't quite the
> same thing.]

This is interesting.  The CUPS server is on the same machine as the Samba
server.  All I have in smb.conf is "printing = cups" and "printcap = cups" --
I have no directive telling it where to look for the CUPS server.  Now I am
pretty sure that a CUPS server is also a CUPS client locally.  So I am
wondering if this is what's happening and if I need to tell CUPS to send the
jobs directly to the printer, rather than sending them to itself in a
client-server kind of way.

Misty