[Samba] ldap idmap backend doesn't work

gat1182 at free.fr gat1182 at free.fr
Wed Jan 5 17:41:22 GMT 2005

Hi,
I’ve got a problem with the ldap idmap backend capability. I've integrated a
fedora Core3 with samba 3.0.10 box in an Active Directory 2003 domain.
WinBind works correctly with the tdb backend but have some troubles with ldap
functionality.

I've modified my smb.conf file for use my OpenLDAP server to stock the maps.

Smb.conf :

idmap backend = ldap:ldap://fedogat.vdp.mdp
ldap idmap suffix = ou=idmap,dc=vdp,dc=mdp
ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=vdp,dc=mdp

In a same time, i’ve created the admin dn password with :
smbpasswd –w secret

I’ve configured my OpenLDAP server :
1 – Configure the slapd.conf file (include samba.schema; dc=vdp,dc=mdp; rootpw)
2 – Create the manager object and the idmap organizational unit

The OpenLDAP server is launched with the following command:
Slapd –f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf –u ldap

The /var/lib/ldap dir is owned by the “ldap” local user.

But, when i start the winbindd daemon with the next command:
Winbindd –F –S –d 10
I can see that the connection to the ldap server is successful but after, I’ve
got the
“idmap_init: failed to initialize remote backend!” error message.

Perhaps, I forgot a stage in my configuration process. If someone can help me or
redirect me towards a good tutorial to implement the ldap idmap backend.

Regards