[Samba] Re: Error messages every 32min after Win2k security update

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 2 22:33:34 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 07:55 -0500, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Can you recommend any network diagnostics I can run on the win2k client?

Take a network sniff, using a tool like ethereal.

> Looking into it further, it seems to be specifically "breaks on first
> access".  It seems like there's some kind of initial handshake that's
> occuring on first use of the shares mounted from the server, and also
> every 32m, that's failing, but all other samba usage is succeeding.  I
> can also browse/access shared folders on the other winxp machine from
> this win2k client just fine.

Actually, I'm starting to remember one of the lovely things that windows
does - it connects to both port 139 and port 445 at the same time.  This
might be the perfectly normal disconnection from the second of these to
succeed.  If that's the case, then we probably should make that error
less noisy.  (It should be clear in the ethereal trace that the second
connection is closed).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org