[Samba] [homes] no accessible

Bruce Hohl brucehohl at access-4-free.com
Fri Feb 25 01:59:09 GMT 2005

> On a server "linuxbox" using ADS security in a Windows
> 2003 Active  directory, part of smb.conf is ...
>
> [srvbackup]
>         force user = sambaa
>         writeable = yes
>         valid users = ADS-Name+Administrator,ADS-Name+dave
>         path = /var/spool/samba/sambashares/srvbackup
>
> [homes]
>         browseable = no
>         writeable = yes
>
> from an XP professional client, srvbackup is usable but i
> cannot access  my home.
> error dialog shows "\\linuxbox\dave is not accessible"

On my system "FileTest" joined to a Win2K domain connections
to home work with following setup:

1 - check path for home in getent:
FileTest:~ # getent passwd | grep testuser
testuser:x:11053:10513:testuser:/home/TEST_WIN_DOMAIN/testuser:/bin/false

2 - note valid user parameter:
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = TEST_WIN_DOMAIN/%S