[Samba] Printing only works sometimes

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 24 05:44:20 GMT 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:27:45PM -0800, Joseph Carri wrote:

> I have been trying to use Samba 2.2.6 to print from
> two SCO Openserver 5.0.7 servers (VDOHOM & VDOHOM2, IP
> addresses 192.168.1.121 & 192.168.1.122) on a WAN
> consisting of networks 192.168.1.0, 192.168.11.0 &
> 192.168.21.0, interconnected by ISDN leased lines
> using CISCO 805 routers.  The WAN has been up and
> running for months and there are no communications
> problems. Users have been runing various Oracle
> applications on Win2K servers, connecting to the
> internet through another Win2k server and a firewall,
> and connecting to the Unix servers with Telnet.
>
> I have created a user called samba on the two
> Openserver machines as well as on the Windows Domain.
> The user was added with with useradd & smbpasswd.  I
> do not have any problem accessing or browsing test
> shares on the UNIX machines.
>
> My problem is this.  Some of the time, I can print
> from either Unix server without any problems at all.
> However, about half the time, lpstat claims the
> document has been printed, but nothing in fact is
> printed.  The Win 2003 servers do not show any queued
> documents.

The problem seems to be with the lp subsystem on the SCO
OpenServer box. Probably the reason you're not getting much
help is due to the fact you're running on an *extremely*
(to say the least :-) unpopular platform.

I have a feeling people may be much more willing to help
if you were running on any other system than SCO.

SCO have not gone out of their way to make themselves
popular with the Free Software/Open Source communities
due to their legal activities.

Would it be possible to migrate your applications onto
a Linux varient instead ? They are known to be much
better integrated with Samba into a Windows printing
network (it works out of the box on my Red Hat Fedora
test machines).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.