[Samba] Bringing a laptop to a Samba Network

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Thu Feb 24 00:28:39 GMT 2005

Craig White wrote:

 > On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 23:41 -0600, Steve Cohen wrote:
 >
 >> Steve Cohen wrote:
 >>
 >>> I have a little home network, with a wireless router.  The main box
on the ntwk runs RedHat 9.0 and Samba 2.2.7a.

 >>> I have a Win2K laptop provided to me by my employer with all the
typical corporate security constraints.

 >>> I can take the laptop home and access the internet from it through
the laptops secondary wireless router card and my wireless router.  What
I'd like to be able to do beyond that is print documents from the laptop
to my home printer.  It won't work.  The laptop can see the printer, but
Samba is not letting it access the printer.  The laptop is within the
corporate domain of my employer.  You can't sign on otherwise.  It's not
in Samba's workgroup, which seems to be assumed by many of the docs I've
read.  (In a catastrophically comic attempt to do this, I tried changing
the laptop's Network identification to use the Samba workgroup.  Not
only didn't this work, but I couldn't change it back, and once I was
logged off, couldn't log back on.  I had to get the work IT guys to
reconfigure it back to the corporate domain.)

 >>> So, is there a way in Samba to give access to a computer outside
its workgroup?  What might that be?  A quick perusal of the docs that
come with SWAT didn't suggest anything promising.

 >> One more detail of my setup: security = SHARE
 >

 > ----
 > I would expect that you could access 'My Network Places' -> View Entire
 > Network -> Microsoft Windows Networking -> NAME_OF_HOME_WORKGROUP ->
 > Samba_Server and see the printer share and then double click to install
 > and set up.

I see only the corporate network when I do this.  It is empty, unless I
enter the corporate VPN, at which point I see all the computers in the
corporate network that I would see if at work but not my local workgroup.

 > You probably will need to install printer driver for your
 > home printer. Likely you aren't going to have sufficient privileges to
 > add a printer and install a printer driver (you probably wouldn't if I
 > was admin of your network anyway)

I have sufficient privileges for installing the driver.  In fact, I have
gotten as far as installing this as a printer on the laptop.

 > Privileges though wouldn't prevent you from accessing your home
 > workgroup and seeing file & printer shares. It's likely that WINS server
 > stuff is set for work environment and thus, you may have to simply
 > connect to samba server by ip address...

Yes.  I type in the ip address and I see the printer and all the other
Samba shares.  Doubleclicking on the printer I get
"Access Denied, Unable to Connect" in the window title bar for the
printer.  Windows will let me "print" to it, but nothing happens.

 > Try some command line stuff on laptop like...
 >
 > net view NAME_OF_SAMBA_SERVER
 > or if unable to resolve the name...
 > net view IP_ADDRESS_OF_SAMBA_SERVER
 >
 > and of course you can try stuff like...
 >
 > net use lpt2: \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_SAMBA_SERVER\NAME_OF_PRINTER
 > but of course, you would want the driver to be installed.

This "succeeds" but again, no printing happens.

 > Craig

What I didn't say before was that at one time this worked.  I was able
to print through this same connection.   Two events intervened:
1.  There was a glitch in the wireless router and I had to reset it to
factory settings and reconfigure, which I believe I did successfully.
2.  I updated my samba rpm from 2.2.7a-7.9.0 to 2.2.7a-8.9.0

One or both of these things may have messed with the config.

 From all the above, it seems to me that Windows is letting me out to
see the printer, even connect a driver to it.  But something in Samba is
preventing me from accessing, and after looking all up and down the
smb.conf, I don't see it.

smb.conf:

$ cat smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from RAINIER (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/02/16 22:34:37

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = {NAME OF MY WORKGROUP}
         server string = samba server
         security = SHARE
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         unix password sync = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         printcap name = cups
         preferred master = No
         domain master = No
         dns proxy = No
         wins server = 192.168.123.70
         guest ok = Yes
         hosts allow = 192.168.123.0/255.255.255.0
         printing = cups

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         valid users = %S