[Samba] Bringing a laptop to a Samba Network

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 23 06:05:26 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 23:41 -0600, Steve Cohen wrote:
> Steve Cohen wrote:
> > I have a little home network, with a wireless router.  The main box on
> > the ntwk runs RedHat 9.0 and Samba 2.2.7a.
> >
> > I have a Win2K laptop provided to me by my employer with all the typical
> > corporate security constraints.
> >
> > I can take the laptop home and access the internet from it through the
> > laptops secondary wireless router card and my wireless router.  What I'd
> > like to be able to do beyond that is print documents from the laptop to
> > my home printer.  It won't work.  The laptop can see the printer, but
> > Samba is not letting it access the printer.  The laptop is within the
> > corporate domain of my employer.  You can't sign on otherwise.  It's not
> > in Samba's workgroup, which seems to be assumed by many of the docs I've
> > read.  (In a catastrophically comic attempt to do this, I tried changing
> > the laptop's Network identification to use the Samba workgroup.  Not
> > only didn't this work, but I couldn't change it back, and once I was
> > logged off, couldn't log back on.  I had to get the work IT guys to
> > reconfigure it back to the corporate domain.)
> >
> > So, is there a way in Samba to give access to a computer outside its
> > workgroup?  What might that be?  A quick perusal of the docs that come
> > with SWAT didn't suggest anything promising.
> >

> One more detail of my setup: security = SHARE
----
I would expect that you could access 'My Network Places' -> View Entire
Network -> Microsoft Windows Networking -> NAME_OF_HOME_WORKGROUP ->
Samba_Server and see the printer share and then double click to install
and set up. You probably will need to install printer driver for your
home printer. Likely you aren't going to have sufficient privileges to
add a printer and install a printer driver (you probably wouldn't if I
was admin of your network anyway)

Privileges though wouldn't prevent you from accessing your home
workgroup and seeing file & printer shares. It's likely that WINS server
stuff is set for work environment and thus, you may have to simply
connect to samba server by ip address...

Try some command line stuff on laptop like...

net view NAME_OF_SAMBA_SERVER
or if unable to resolve the name...
net view IP_ADDRESS_OF_SAMBA_SERVER

and of course you can try stuff like...

net use lpt2: \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_SAMBA_SERVER\NAME_OF_PRINTER
but of course, you would want the driver to be installed.

Craig