[Samba] Block size on Macs

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:28:46 GMT 2005

I'm running Samba 2.2.8 alpha on a Mac OS X server.  I have found
that, when Macs connect to this server, they report file sizes in
blocks of 32 Mb.  That is, every little Word file appears to be 32 Mb;
anything 32-64 Mb is reported as 64 Mb; and so on and so forth.  PCs
report sizes correctly, though.  I tried setting the "block size"
directive in smb.conf, but that didn't fix it.  This isn't really a
huge problem -- everything *works*, after all -- but it's pretty
annoying.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University