[Samba] Excel File Open Issue - Possibly Samba Related

Chad Vincent chad at rhiannonweb.com
Tue Feb 22 19:45:43 GMT 2005

Having a workstation with an odd glitch, and I'm hoping someone can
help.  We have a 35MB shared Excel file with our purchasing history in
it.  (I know, I've been trying to talk them into a database of some
sort, but they'll have none of that...)

One workstation in the entire plant is having issues opening it.  The
file will load, it will change status to [Shared] in the titlebar, then
stop.

Bad Workstation:
Windows 2000
Athlon 1600+
256MB DDR 333
Soyo Dragon KT333 Ultra Black
Realtek 8139 on-board (Also tried PCI 8139)

Server:
Debian Stable
2x Opteron 240
Broadcom "tg3" 1000Mb NIC
Samba 3.0.7-1 as a PDC

Network:
Phoebe Micro 24+2 10/100/1000 Switches, daisychained via GbE over
Gigabit-rated Cat5e.

If I copy the file over to the local drive and open it, it works fine.
It's only when I open it off of the share that it locks up.  It also
works fine with the same user at a different Windows 2000 workstation.

The only clue I have to go on at this point is two (out of multiple
attempts) error lines in my logfile for that machine:

(Third attempt today:)
lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(384)  read_socket_data: recv failure
for 4.  Error = Connection reset by peer

(Fifth attempt today:)
lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(384)  read_socket_data: recv failure
for 4.  Error = No route to host

None of the other attempts have generated any errors at log level = 1.

I had the Connection reset by peer message before, and never came up
with any solution, it just eventually went away.  This time it isn't.

- --
Chad Vincent
RhiannonWeb
chad at rhiannonweb.com