[Samba] Excel File Open Issue - Possibly Samba Related

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 19:56:16 GMT 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 02:45:43PM -0500, Chad Vincent wrote:

> Having a workstation with an odd glitch, and I'm hoping someone can
> help.  We have a 35MB shared Excel file with our purchasing history in
> it.  (I know, I've been trying to talk them into a database of some
> sort, but they'll have none of that...)
>
> One workstation in the entire plant is having issues opening it.  The
> file will load, it will change status to [Shared] in the titlebar, then
> stop.
>
> Bad Workstation:
> Windows 2000
> Athlon 1600+
> 256MB DDR 333
> Soyo Dragon KT333 Ultra Black
> Realtek 8139 on-board (Also tried PCI 8139)
>
> Server:
> Debian Stable
> 2x Opteron 240
> Broadcom "tg3" 1000Mb NIC
> Samba 3.0.7-1 as a PDC

You need to upgrade. There have been several fixes in this area to
do with the rather strange way Excel uses SMB. None of them should
cause the client to disconnect, although a deferred open problem could
conceivably do this. It's just that many people are reporting much
better results with Excel and 3.0.11.

Jeremy.