[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.11 smbd hangs

olly oliver.wickham at genetix.com
Tue Feb 22 13:43:16 GMT 2005

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote in message
news:421B2A3A.1050405 at samba.org...

> olly wrote:
> | Hi Guys,
> |
> | I have experienced an issue when the smbd stops
> | responding, and after cannot kill the process, using
> | SIGTERM or SIGKILL.
>
> If you can't SIGKILL, it's a kernel bug IMO.

I kinda figured that the OS should be able to kill the process, but its the
new samba that has exasibated the problem. I belive Jens' Suse 9.1 is also
2.4 kernel also. Is this correct? BTW i have noticed that samba as a seems
better performannce since the last version i was using (3.0.6). Thanks!

> | A reboot cured the problem. I had the same problem
> | once again a couple of days later. I realised that both
> | times I had changed my smb.conf file directly, using
> | vi, and shortly before the hang occured. The changes to
> | the file were very minor, and the two were different
> | options. Nothing appeared in the log, but my logging
> | level is very low. Both times a reboot cured the problem.
>
> There changes to how we reload the printer cache between
> 3.0.9 and 3.0.11.  I've never seen the behavior you
> describe but all my boxes are running 2.6 these days.

Are you running SMP on any of these boxes, and I wonder if Jens is also?

> | Now here is my problem - the version of samba was
> | tested before going live,  but the problem was not
> | picked ip, but now it is in a production environment, which
> | I cannot disrupt until the last person goes home. I guess
> | I what I am asking is what can you guys suggest I try
> | in the small window i have to test it, to gather enough
> | information for you to diagnose where the problem lies, if
> | indeed it is related to the modified smd.conf. I will turn
> | the logging level up to 10, but will have to stop samba
> | first, so hopefully editing the smb.conf shouldn't cause
> | a problem then.
>
> You can run smbcontrol smbd debug 10 to set the debug level.
> You might also want to run strace on the 'hung' process
> (although if it is really hung, you won't get any feedback
> here either).

Is changing the debug level at all likely to cause the same hanging as
reloading the smb.conf or are the two operations sufficiently isolated that
i can feel safe doing it with users online (at my own risk :-) ?

> | The server is a dual Zeon with Suse 9.0 kernel 2.4.21-273-smp4g
> | with yast updates and samba 3.0.11.
> |
> | BTW, what is the actually policy for samba to watch for
> | config updates? Is there a polling interval of sorts?
>
> internal checks every 3 minutes.  grep for SMBD_RELOAD_CHECK.

Thanks!