[Samba] home network

Kevin Altizer kevin at altizer.org
Tue Feb 15 14:20:20 GMT 2005

Greetings, I have a home network setup with a broadband router sharing a connection to a MDK Linux machine and an XP Pro machine.  The XP box is setup as master.  At first I could access the xp machine from the linux box only.  I changed the smb.conf file and uncommented the [tmp] section and could access that directory from the xp box.  Now I can't mount the shared directories on the xp machine from the linux machine.  In the smb4k window, when I double click the shared directories on the xp machine, the icon pops up on the right for a moment, then disappears.  I had a wireless router, but I changed back to my regular broadband router and now I'm getting a username/password prompt when trying to access the linux machine from the xp machine.  I tried uncommenting the guest user lines in smb.conf and this didn't help.  I downloaded Ethereal yesterday and followed the directions step by step at samba.org and still can't get things to work right.  I've googled time and time again, I've posted in the linux newsgroup, I'm about out of gas here.  Do I need to just start over?  Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin A.