[Samba] Problem with w2k user logging into domain run by Samba

Martin Gilchrist martinpg at javamarket.com
Sat Feb 12 08:58:32 GMT 2005

Hi, I am trying to set up Samba 3.0.7 on Linux as a PDC for small home network. I have got as far as being able to join a w2k machine to the domain, but when I try to log in as a domain user, I cannot log on. A dialog box displays:

The system cannot log you on because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect.

If I look in the Event Viewer, there's an error message to the effect that the login was unable to authenticate against the domain controller.

I have scoured the Samba documentation and googled for information - and plenty of people seem to have problems along these lines - , but I simply don't get how to troubleshoot this. What log files should I read and what should I look for? I'd like to get a handle on how to isolate the problem, or better yet just solve it!

1. I have run: adduser -m machine$
2. I have run: smbpasswd -a -m machine
3. I have joined the machine to the domain - that seemed to work OK.
4. I log in as a user that I have set up both on the Linux system and in smbpasswd.

What should I look for? Thanks for any help, Martin