[Samba] RID question. Samba 3.0.11

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Feb 11 18:14:07 GMT 2005

I have a RHAS3 test server (3.0.11) with a single XP 5 ws connected.

I also have a high school RHAS3/3.0.11 server going into production (as a
PDC) next week or thereabout. With mostly Windows 2000 workstations.

In the Samba HOWTO the well-known RIDs are detailed, with numeric values.
It is stressed (in the HOWTO) that Windows workstations take note of
well-known RIDs (appended to localsids).

However, when I install a new domain workstation on my test rig:

1: from the HOWTO the RID is supposed to e 515; however:

2: when the trust account is installed by the NT4 SRVMGR.EXE on my XP
client, the RID gets to be 513;

3: when installed using 'smbpasswd -a -m' Samba creates its own
algorithmic RID.

My XP client doesn't seem to take the blindest bit of notice of the RID.
The machine trust account is accepted, whatever the value of the RID is.

4: the same applies to the Administrator RID. It's supposed to be 500, but
the XP machine accepts DOMAIN\Administrator as God, whatever his RID is,
even if it's 30000.

What gives?

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl