[Samba] SWAT and restricting access to printers

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 16:04:47 GMT 2005

I have samba 3.0.11 with CUPS printing on a Solaris system with WindowsXP clients
and have a proble setting up printing.  Rather, a problem restricting printing.

Printing works fine in that anyone with a username on the samba server can print.

However, I want a specific printer to be restricted to only users in a specific
group.

Using SWAT I can see no way of doing this because there is only "hosts allow" and
"hosts deny", even using "Advanced".

Looking at the man page for smb.conf I see parameters like "write list" and "valid
users" as share level parameters.  When I try "valid users = user" in a printer
share it does just what I want.

However, as soon as I make a change to the share using SWAT it removes the "valid
users" parameter and opens the printer to everyone!

Is there a particular reason for this unfortunate behaviour.

Phil.