[Samba] Why Windows sucks.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 5 02:24:23 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 17:55 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> The most eloquant rant on Windows I've read for a long long time....
>
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2005/02/04/notes020405.DTL
>
> "There is nothing else like this phenomenon in the entire consumer culture. If
> anything else performed as horribly as Windows, and on such a global scale,
> consumers would scream bloody murder and demand their money back and there
> would be some sort of investigation, class-action litigation, a demand for
> Bill Gates' cute little geeky head on a platter."
>
> Maybe people are finally starting to wake up on this. My 77 year old
> Mum has been running on Linux now for 2 years - I only set her up
> with an Internet account once I'd moved her over. I remote manage
> it from here (Cupertino, CA - USA). She never has any problems. I
> don't think she knows what a virus is :-).
>
> I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but something in this rant
> struck a chord.
----
you are not preaching to the choir.

Mac users are known to be violently anti-Microsoft

Most Linux users understand that computers are just tools but Macintosh
users lose all sense of perspective and their computer becomes an
extension of their ego - sort of like the cross that they bear

If Linux or Macintosh enjoyed the market penetration rates of users
desktops that Windows has, they would be suffering from extensive
exploits too.

Then of course, there is the notion that Windows users invariably
operate with root privileges, giving access to every exploit under the
sun and most network admins know that happy machines have users with
very few privileges.

Then of course, Macintosh users invariably operate with root privileges
and Apple has gone a further step, requiring root to authenticate with
password when installing software and there has already been exploits
that got around (and they've patched) for that.

Then of course, there's Linux distro's that operate primarily with root
shell.

Then of course, there are Linux users that run everything as root
because they can't be bothered by the notion of users.

yes, the average home user, is under informed and ill-prepared to
experience the world via a computer and direct connection to the
internet which is why Microsoft finally (and probably in the better late
than never category) installing firewall and pop-up blocking with WinXP
SP2 - it ain't perfect, it ain't all that great but it's a start.

I am neither a Windows lover nor a Mac lover, but rather a computer
enthusiast which is what really excites me about Linux in general.

Thanks

Craig